Competition Rules & Regulations
- The 16th International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna is open to pianists of either sex and of
all nationalities, born between 1 Jan. 1988 and 31 Dec. 2000.
- The Competition consists of an entry examination (“international audition”) and three judging rounds,
including the Finale with Orchestra.
- All works must be played from memory.
- The international auditions of the 16th International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna will be held
in February 2020.
- The three competition rounds are open to the public.
- The Finale (3rd Round) will take place in the Golden Hall of the Musikverein Vienna and is planned to
be recorded and broadcasted.
- Candidates will be judged using a system of points, prizes will be awarded to those who reach the
highest total of points from the judging rounds.
- The decisions of the Jury are final and cannot be reviewed.
- Candidates‘ auditions will be heard according to alphabetic order, beginning with a letter drawn by
lot. For each of the following rounds this order will be advanced by six letters.
- Video and audio recordings for radio and television as well as live-streaming and internet coverage of
the competition are planned. The organizer of the competition reserves all rights (including any future
recordings or coverage); any future claims by third parties will not be acknowledged.
- The candidates are not entitled to any financial compensation that may result from radio and television
coverage, or in the case of a CD production or audio/video releases via the internet.
- By submitting their application, all participants grant the organizer of the competition the right to
publish personal details and pass these on to third parties.
- The competition regulations of the International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna are published in
both German and English. In case of litigation, only the German text will be considered legally binding.
- Cancellation: Should the organisational committee decide to cancel the competition, the candidates
are entitled to the reimbursement of their application fee only.