In selecting his/her competition programme, the candidate is requested to choose works from each of the following 6 groups and has to include one of the pieces marked by an asterisk (*).
- Group 1: One of the sonatas from op. 2/1 to op. 26 (with the exception of op. 14/1 and 14/2)
- Group 2: One of the sonatas from op. 27 to op. 90 (with the exception of op. 49/1, 49/2 and op. 79)
- Group 3: One of the sonatas op. 101*, 106*, 109, 110, 111*, or Variations op. 120* (Diabelli Variations)
- Group 4: One of the following variation-works: op. 34, 24 Variations on the Ariette: “Venni amore” by V. Righini (1790) WoO 65, 12 Variations on a Russian dance from the ballet “Das Waldmädchen” by R. Wranitzky WoO 71, 32 Variations c-minor WoO 80
- Group 5: One of following pieces: Bagatelles op.33, Variations op. 35*, both Rondos op. 51/1, 51/2, Fantasy op. 77, Polonaise op. 89, Bagatelles op. 119, Bagatelles op. 126, Rondo op. 129, Andante favori WoO 57
- Group 6: Two piano concertos, one from each group:
- a) op. 15 or op. 19 or op. 37
- b) op. 58 or op. 73
For the Screening Audition, the candidate must perform the following:
- One work chosen from Group 2 or 3
- One work from Group 4
(The works chosen for the competition can be identical with those played in the screening audition)
Please note: In case of a Video Audition, the works must be performed completely with all movements. In case of a Live Audition, the Screening Jury will interrupt the performance and/or ask for individual movements. Detailed information concerning the Live Audition as well as the Video Audition can be found here.
- For the First Round in Vienna, the candidate must perform one work each from Group 2 and 5.
- For the Semi Final Round in the Brahms-Saal of Musikverein Wien, each candidate must perform one work each from group 1 and 3.
- The Final Round of the 16th International Beethoven Piano Competition will take place on May 14th, 2020, in the Golden Hall of the Musikverein Wien. The three finalists must prepare two piano concertos from Group 6.
On October 19th, 2021, the Jury will choose one of the piano concertos, to be performed with the Camerata Salzburg.
(All pieces must be prepared entirely and played from memory)